Thursday, February 11, 2016

Reading - February 2016 Edition

So, February. RadCon is this weekend, which I'll be missing due to logistical reasons. Next year, I hope to make a return trip and sit on some panels again. I've enjoyed the three times I've been there in the past. It's very much a fan run con and it never fails to entertain with the little eccentricities that appear. And for whatever reason, the hotels' restaurant is always understaffed and getting food there is a giant pain in the arse.

My reading list isn't overly full at the moment, but I have a couple of interesting reads in progress. First is Blacksad, a graphic novel translated and put out by Dark Horse Comics. It's best described as a Noir detective with anthropomorphic characters. The protagonist is John Blacksad, a hardboiled private investigator who spends a lot of time in trouble and getting his ass kicked by goons. The artwork is fantastic, being painted and not just inked. The writing is superb and engrosses from the get go. I had a hard time putting it down after the first story. I highly recommend people taking a look at it.

The other one is Beasts of Burden: Animal Rites by Evan Dorkin and Jill Thompson. This is also a graphic novel by Dark Horse comics. A group of dogs [and one cat] band together to prevent their town from being overrun by evil. It's bit of horror mystery mixed with adventure and humor along the way. A fair bit of attention is given to the animals to make them stand out with quirks and some of the obstacles they encounter. Not having opposable thumbs is a disadvantage when you're dealing with demonic frogs and the raising of the dead. Another recommended read for people looking for something a bit less harsh.

The plague is sweeping through the office the last few weeks and I've managed to dodge the worst of it [so far]. This week's busy with a major restock order and some changes in responsibilities. I need to come up with a way to better organize my time if only to make me feel like I have a handle on things. My buddy told me of a cheese bar in the Hipster side of Seattle, which we're going to check out in the evening.

Word count so far this month in 7,662 or 85% on my target as of yesterday. I have more than enough time to catch up.

No comments:

Post a Comment