Monday, February 11, 2013

Fire and Frost Rewrite

I promised a bit of fiction from a previous NaNo attempt. It'll still happen, but I've been busy and haven't had a chance to review the prose and decide if I like it.

Today was spent pushing through the rewrite of the novella that I wrote about 18 months ago. 3k words were cut to eliminate scenes that were only appropriate to the original call, then began the line by line scan to make it fit with the new concept. This has been an ongoing process for the last six weeks. The main character went from one origin to a totally different origin, which made the action scenes totally obsolete and the way he works magic wrong. Two additional scenes were added in, one to cover a deleted scene and the second to give a better background on character relationships. Along with my rewrites, I pushed the word count up by 2500, which tips it over the 25k mark.

Now, I'm going to let it sit and stew, then go back at it later tomorrow. In the mean time, it's off to look at calls, see if I can place any of my rejected works out there, and plot the origin story for the characters in Fire and Frost. Also, not sure on the title of the story, seems a bit cliche, but that's another point to stew over.

No comments:

Post a Comment